We’re heading into a new season (technically we’re already there, but we like to be relaxed about these things – it’s not spring until it’s sunny, right?) and with that comes an almost inevitable urge to refresh your interiors.
But giving your kitchen a spring spruce doesn’t need to be expensive or time-consuming – it’s actually really easy to revamp your look without breaking the bank. Here are a few of our top tips:
1. Choose a few key pieces. You don’t have to go mad with your cookware fund, but investing in a few staples will improve both the function and form of your kitchen. Indigo and bronze tones are set to be huge this year, so we’d recommend choosing a copper pan or two and some pretty blue crockery (or even glassware) to set it all off. Imagine how great these would look on your kitchen counter!
Courtesy of House to Home
2. Open up your storage. This brings us nicely onto our next handy hint: bringing your insides out – or, in other words, making the most of open storage. Not only does open storage bring that homey, loft-style feel to your space, but it also allows you to show off your finest wares (a perfect excuse to display those blue kitchen accessories and copper pots you’ve just snagged). Put up some chunky shelves or purchase some open-ended cabinetry and style accordingly.
Courtesy of Lonny
3. Peg life. Utility rails and hanging storage are not only brilliant for making the most of unused space, but they can also make attractive features. Our fabulous Jpegs would be an ideal addition to your kitchen; position above your sink or cooker and keep those vital implements within easy reach.
4. Bring out your arty side. The idea of hanging art within the kitchen has been woefully overlooked, in our opinion – what better place for it? The kitchen is no longer simply a place for food prep: it’s the ideal gathering or meeting point; a place in which to relax with friends and family; a place in which you can enjoy a few drinks while you cook or linger over coffee. An eye-catching piece of art would breathe new life into your room; or, if you’re so inclined, put up a blackboard and doodle away yourself.
Courtesy of House to Home
5. Finishing touches. Your kitchen should reflect your personality, so go wild! We love quirky finishing touches as these items can really change the overall aesthetic – and there’s no reason to eschew prettiness for practicality. Unique kitchen accessories like our ’Taste Explosion’ salt and pepper shakers or ’Tom, Dick & Harry’ kitchen storage jars will bring real character (whilst being very handy for giving dishes an extra kick or brewing a dynamite cuppa).
Hello all, it’s been a while – but we’ve got lots of exciting news to share so we thought it was high time that we updated our blog (and we promise to make this more of a regular thing!).
2015 has been an exciting year for THABTO as we continue to develop our range of unique gifts whilst branching out into other areas (more on that in the near future…). As such, we’ve been combing the UK and beyond, seeking inspiration and chatting to others in the industry at various trade fairs and exhibitions.
Below are a few of the year’s highlights, so far:
January 2015: MAISON&OBJET, Paris
MAISON&OBJET is one of the biggest lifestyle shows in Europe; in their words, it is ‘a major event for professionals working in the art of living in all its rich and varied expressions’ – which meant, most importantly, that THABTO got to go to Paris (solely in pursuit of our art, of course…and maybe a baguette or two)!
Crepes and croissants aside, this was a very important show for us. Whilst we were there primarily to exhibit our popular collection of unique gifts, we also unveiled a sneak peek of our new collection to the trade – we knew that feedback at this early stage would be vital in order that we could continue to hone our range effectively. Responses were enthusiastic, which was great: though we’re quietly confident that the adjustments we’ve made since then will only improve on this. The best is yet to come, as they say…
A sneak peek of some of our new products alongside the ever popular Jpegs
February 2015: Ambiente, Frankfurt
A whistle-stop tour to Frankfurt: one of our favourite cities. This was a truly inspiring trip for us – not only did we have a lovely stand at the fair itself, but we soaked up the culture, the trends, and made some great new friends, too.
Happy THABTO team basking in post-show glow
February 2015: Spring Fair, UK
Over to Birmingham for our next show, which was held at the NEC. If you’ve never been before, you should: it’s the largest fair of its kind in Europe and spans an impressive 20 halls in the NEC. Epic, to say the least.
Alongside THABTO favourites such as our Mood Mugs and Subbuteo Bottle Opener, our stand also displayed some items from our soon-to-be-released collection of lifestyle items. We’re never ones to shy away from being noticed so we were very pleased with the prominent location and eye-catching design of our stand; however, we can admit to being a little nervous as this was the first time some of these products had been showcased within the UK, but the reaction was overwhelmingly positive.
Our stand at the Spring Fair - not bad, eh?
What’s next for THABTO: for the next few weeks we’ll be working hard on the finishing touches to our new collection, ready for launch in May. This range of lifestyle and home accessories has been inspired by the best in British design – with that unique THABTO twist. We’re looking forward to showing you how even the most simple, everyday function can be made stylish and fun with an object that does so much more than it ‘says on the tin’!
Our Subbuteo Bottle Opener scored a hat-trick at the Gift of the Year awards!
Not only did we win the Best Men's Gift and Best Collecible Gift, we also won the prestigious OVERALL GIFT OF THE YEAR 2014!
The awards were presented by Sebastian Conran at the Giftware Association's annual Gift Of The Year awards ceremony held at the NEC in Birmingham.
It's World Cup year! This one's going to be a big hit!
Next time you 'hit the bar', use this solid metal retro bottle opener to kick the cap off your half time refreshment!